Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New Show and Unmotivated






I just dropped off more of my artist dolls at a new art gallery today for a show that opens this friday, 5 December. The gallery director seemed really excited, but I am kind of burnt out. Making art by myself, in my own studio, was supposed to be a dream come true, but it can be really lonely. I thought I would never miss the crazy businesses of the museum conservation lab, but I do! There were always different characters running in with different emergencies, all of which sound crazy now(the mannequin couple in evening clothes dining on the "Titanic" need adjusting! One of the heads fell off the mannequins of African children playing in the Level 5 case, can you help drill a big hole to fit this comment in?, can you mount this prehistoric alligator tooth now!?, we are bringing the big polar bear-he has a bald patch on top of his head-can you fix it?). Now, it is just me and my 4 cats and I am constantly shooing them away to keep them out of what I am doing. I miss my funny friends who found the 3,000 year old cat mummy as interesting as I do!

Anyway, I am feeling very unmotivated to do any Holiday art though I should. I have been doing some sketching, but can't seem to make the jump back to paintings and printmaking. So, I have been fiddling around more with photography via my computer-something I never thought I would be doing. I have to admit that it is much easier than the dark room and there is much less mess! I have been working with self portaits with has been very odd. Being an identical twin, I really never thought about what I looked like. I never thought I looked like my twin, but I never really cared or knew what I looked like if that makes sense. It was like we just were this set and it didn't matter. Now, I am wondering who the heck I am and what the heck I look like-it is weird! Who IS that person I am photographing-is that me? That is really weird. Huh. I can't explain it. I definitely see the signs of age-my face is sinking in! Youth-you are so very fickle. I finally pick up a mirror and you go *poof*

Anyway, I need to get to taking some new photographs as well-hopefully of other people before I freak myself out with my face. My days fill up with nothing somehow. It has been a long week and it is only Tuesday! I need to get going! What I would really love is a change of scenery and to just hang out and chat with friends without the pressure of making anything!

8 comments:

Robin said...

This is such a crappy time of year for motivation. I'm struggling right now as well. Hoping to take some good pics on our trip. Come down whenever you want a get-a-way!

Unknown said...

I am used to hiding away and just creating-my groove has been disrupted by all this monkey business of the last 2 years! Yikers!

I know you will take fab photos when you get away! I should come down and make you be the model-You can be every fairy tale girl and I will be the very mean photographer-Hee!
Love,merle

CatHerder said...

Oh Merle! I think this time of year drains us all....i know what you mean about youth...i looked in the mirror at myself in the mall today while i was shopping with hubby and thought....omg thats ME?! Holy crap, when DID THAT HAPPEN...omg i just want to hide under the covers. And as far as my jewelry, im about to just give it up all together...i need a vacation.

Unknown said...

Terri,
Don't give up! I think we both just need a break from art and everything really so hang in there!
love,merle

Heather said...

Its easy to get burnt out with all the shows that seem to take place at the end of the year. I am looking forward to a nice long hibernation this winter :) just doing whatever.
You should come down this way and we can do nothing together! Wouldnt that be fun? I went shopping today and was so bummed that there isnt an anthropolgie closer than about 400 miles away. Blah!
Hope youre doing ok! Say hello to the littles!~
h

Unknown said...

I usually crank out a bunch of Holiday paintings and gifts so I don't know what happened. I was really sick this Fall and extra busy with weird art stuff. I would LOVE to visit you and just hang out(well chase Baby Fae and try to hang out!). My prof. wants me to visit her in TX in Feb. to print and make stuff for another show. I need to try to do that and get out of here!
m

imwithsully said...

Come hang out at the ad agency I work with for a while. You'll be glad you don't work with crazy "emergency" people anymore. I am going to look through all your posts. I can't believe I haven't run into you in blogland before now.

Unknown said...

I know it is crazy and it is so much better to be here in my own little world. I never thought I would ever say "I miss it!" about my old job, but sometimes I do(bite my tongue!).

I am not the most regular blogger-I am pretty random with most things but I am so happy I have finally found you-your work is amazing!
merle