Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fancy Egypt!







Last night was the big fancy Egyptian Event at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis for the opening of two new Egyptian Exhibits. My twin sister Jer has been working on both of these Exhibits so my whole family went to "wow" at everything. She has been working with Dr. Zahi Hawass, the Secretary General of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities. He has that big fancy title, but mostly he spends his time in tunnels and tombs underground. Jer has been working on projects here and in Egypt. All of the folks she has been working with in Egypt are fabulous and several of them were able to attend last nights big hoo-haa. There is a documentary out now about Jer's journey to make these exhibits and it totally makes me cry-I am so proud of her.
So yes, we all got dressed up! Jer looked like an Egyptian Goddess in a green beaded and pleated gown with a special headpiece I made just for the event. I wore the champagne silk empire waisted gown with the peacock headpiece, our younger sister Kimi wore a dress that is similar in shape to mine but in black, our mom had on a gorgeous combo of black and turquoise and our dad had on a new white dinner jacket. Zahi looked fabulous in a tux! We are all used to seeing him in his famous hat and covered in dust and dirt. Oh, and I did paint my toes and wear some fancy shoes-ooh la la! Photos are promised!
(and yes, I always have to make a silly face in photos-ugh!)

15 comments:

CindySowers said...

You look maaaarvelous doll-ing! Can you show closeups of the headpieces, or are they on your blog somewhere?

Unknown said...

thanks cindy! i know there is a blog with photos of other headpieces i have made-the beaded ones. this one i made for jer i had to make so quick and run it over to her that i didn't have a chance to photograph it by itself. and, there is a photo here on my blog page of pascal wearing one of my headpieces and he looks really great and is modeling it really well(pascal my cat that is!). let me know if you need any other photos!
take care,
merle

Unknown said...

http://rowandevoe.blogspot.com/2009/01/part-fourth-of-where-mermaid-came-from.html

this one has a few of my headpieces!
xo,
merle

Unknown said...

http://rowandevoe.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-portraits-happy-happy.html

hiya cindy-this one is about a bride who wore one of my headpieces-i have several brides wear them, bridesmaids, flower girls, and anyone who wants to wear a fancy "doo-dah" on their head-everyone should do this everyday!
xo,
merle

mamabeaks said...

well you know how much i love you in this dress and all of you accessories........... so now i'm being nosy! does your mom and your other sis have on jewelry made by you?

Unknown said...

thanks so much! and they do! i wish i had a better photo of kimi-she looked so fabulous! she has this great thick straight blonde hair that i always wanted! it was only when my dad told me how my curly hair was so much like his red haired mom's hair and it reminded him of her that i liked-and that has been recently! we all love beads!

Robin said...

You all look wonderful, and it looks like such a fun event! Fab!!

Unknown said...

thanks ro!
xo,
mo

Ivy Long, Edera Jewelry said...

Hi Merle! Just stopping by to see all the pics from the Ball--you look beautiful! The dress and feathered hairband and necklaces all look elegant together--and your sister's dress is also lovely. Looks like a bunch of fun!

And I did a double take of the photo of you Dr. Zahi Hawass--I saw him on a documentary once on television! How neat to meet an archeological celebrity :)

I received your other note too--and am off to respond to that as well--just had to say I loved your outfit :)

take care,

Ivy

ps--anxiously awaiting the Merle edition of Cindy's interviews ;)

KatinkaPinka said...

fantastical! you look simply smashing, m'dear!

Unknown said...

thanks ivy! will be looking for your email! archeological celebrities are the best-the conversations could be endless!

thanks katinka! i have not forgotten you! an email is on its way! love you my dear!

xo,
merle

Medieval Muse said...

Everyone looks glowingly beautiful! I particularly love your dress.

Unknown said...

thanks missy medieval and thanks for your advice about the accessories! i am still laughing about how i called you while trying to buy those shoes! that dress was a dream to wear-very comfortable.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are all so beautiful~ Egyptian Goddesses indeed!! I would love to know more about your sister's documentary. I have heard Dr.Hawass when he was a guest on Coast to Coast..how exciting for her to be working in such an amazing field. Congrats to her and thanks for sharing such amazing pics...you guys look like you should be sighning autographs..hehe!

Anonymous said...

ps.thanks for the comments on my blog~can't wait to see what you are creating!Bring on the gypsies and parasols:)